Friday, June 8, 2012

Back to Work

It's always amazing to come home after having been away for a while only to find that everything has changed and nothing has changed. Some people see us and say, "Oh, you're back already?" and it reminds us that time moves quickly and slowly simultaneously. When we ask friends what's new, the first response is usually, "Nothing much" but as conversation allows, slowly we find out that babies are expected, houses have been purchased, internships secured, moves underway and life, as always, just keeps rolling along at the same pace. I went back to work this week and there have been a lot of changes and yet, so much the same. Many of the same sweet faces met me in the office this week and it was great to catch up. I know some staff have left and there are also some new faces but it was nice to be welcomed back just the same. Most people who come into my work tell me that they would love to work there too. It's shiny and pretty and full of all sorts of interesting and beautiful things...and, of course, it smells really, really good. But the absolute best thing about where I work is not a thing at all. I know that I've said it before but I really like the people I work with. I mean, REALLY like them. This is just one tiny example of why. Four months away, I come back and this little treasure awaits me...because while I was gone, it was Roll Up The Rim time at Tim Horton's. For those of you who aren't Canadian, this may not translate but it's akin to missing an annual ritual for committed coffee lovers. It's the time when coffee drinking is supposed to reward the faithful by showering them with free donuts and coffee and maybe even a bicycle if you're really lucky. To be honest, for me, it's just an excuse not to skip my morning coffee because it may be that one cup that leads to eternal financial freedom (or a free chocolate dip which is equally exciting!) This is what makes my workplace one of the places to really come home to..and why even if I did roll up the rim to eternal financial freedom, I'd probably still show up for work every day anyway.

No comments: