Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Summertime...and the living is easy



We're fully into summer here in Canada. Sunny skies, summer storms and long hours of sunlight. It's amazing. 3 out of 4 people surveyed in our house say they are incredibly happy to be home. As usual, I'm outnumbered in my longing to be in Africa, particularly somewhere between Zimbabwe and Zambia, most days.

I can't say I'm not happy to be back, I am. I'm enjoying my dog, my neighbours, my job, my ability to have a Timmie's on a whim, flush toilets and showers. I am grateful for all of these things almost hourly, and that is what brings me happiness on days that the longing for Africa brings me such aching longing.

I know that life in Canada is an extreme contrast to life in Africa but it doesn't mean that things here don't remind me of our time there.  Coffee here brings me to the morning hunt for coffee or figuring out the best way to make it with limited resources and utensils! Driving is a joy after four months of not having our own vehicle. I know how spoiled I am to be able to pick up and go for a drive whenever I want, even if it's just en route to work. Even at work, the place that is the most polar opposite to our African experience, I am reminded. It comes in the questions of coworkers, comments from customers, even in the plethora of items from all over the world, I find myself drawn to the globes we sell and tracing the distance between here and there with my finger.

I came home from work the other evening to find the boys playing soccer in the front yard. Nothing unusual, the same gang of street punks that run in and out of our house were in attendance. As I pulled into the garage, I realized what was different. They were playing the game that Arthur and Owesi and Nathan Tembo taught them in Luyansha, Zambia. I'm glad I'm not the only one with reminders of our time and friends and family in Zambia.

No comments: