Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Thanks and Giving

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians. I have to say, it has been an absolutely gorgeous weekend here in Saskatchewan. I don't remember another fall weekend as beautiful in many years. There is much to be thankful for and not the least of which was the ability to be outside and soak up the sunshine, walk to the river with the dog, run through the trees and sit in the long grass...all things that seem to fill me up.

It's 2 am and I can't sleep. Not that that's too unusual but even now, I'm so very aware of all that is good in my world. I am on the couch and I can see the stars clearly above. There is a night train rumbling past and that's a comforting sound to me for some reason. I've always loved the sound (there it is!!) of the train horn as it tunnels under the highway and towards the level crossings out in the countryside. I think it reminds me of travelling but it also makes me feel like we're not right in the city, that the grid roads and wheat fields are just beyond what we can see. I love the openness of the prairies and I think one of the best parts of living here is the sound of a train or a distant thunder reminding me of what a small part of this world I am.  There's a dog, freshly bathed after swimming in the river today, soft and warm, curled up on my feet and her snoring is quiet and rhythmic. Once in a while she twitches her toes and seems to run in her sleep, chasing a stick that escaped her today or perhaps she dreams of the Bernese mountain dog she befriended out on the path today. The fridge hums and the floor creaks and it's only my mind that is fully awake.

In these past few days, when reminded to be thankful, I am just that.
I have a family who loves me. Two boys who are healthy and happy and thriving. A husband who loves me and takes such great care of our family. And a dog sleeping on my feet. There are friends near and far who we know we can count on. There's food in the cupboard and water running through the pipes. And all that is far more than we deserve.

I need to remember these things. They're not small.  I hope you can store up a bit of what you are thankful for and revisit it in the coming weeks. And for those you are thankful for, I hope that you tell them. I'm thankful for each of you who come by the blog and read and comment and question.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: